Job title: Principal Health Economist
Location: Sheffield, Manchester or other European office with regular travel to Sheffield.
Who are they looking for:
Are you interested in finding a long-term home within an independent, dynamic, academically-oriented, global consultancy environment?
If so, our client is offering an exciting opportunity to join their team.
About our client:
Our client works with pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, helping them to demonstrate the clinical and economic value of their products to governments and healthcare providers. This is mainly done through the development of core market access materials, including reimbursement and value dossiers.
Our client is one of the largest privately owned health economic and outcomes research (HEOR) consultancies in the world. The office dynamic is intellectually stimulating, fun and focused on results. With their head office in Sheffield they employ over 100 people in the UK, Denmark, India, Ireland and the Netherlands. They are also currently opening an office in the US. There are frequent opportunities for international placements.
They identify themselves as having a vibrant culture where everyone matters. Many of their employees join as graduates, and they believe in developing their staff and exposing them to responsibility from an early stage in their careers, enabling rapid progression while maintaining a close support network.
Due to the increasing requests for work both globally and within the UK and senior staff planned moves to the new US office, they are looking to expand their operations. They are looking for a technical, hands on health economist to develop a small team of more junior health economists to provide services for both global and local clients.
You will have full client-facing responsibilities which will include, but not be limited to:
· Line management, training and mentoring of junior health economists (~6 people)
· Taking the lead role on economic modelling projects, with the opportunity to fulfil a technical expert role within multi-disciplinary projects
· Providing strategic and technical expertise both to clients and internally
· Designing and developing transparent and user-friendly economic models throughout the product life cycle, pre- and post-launch for local and global use
· Perform thorough technical (quality control) and strategic review of internal and external economic models
· Working in partnership with clients to assess, demonstrate and communicate product value
· Developing the economic sections of health technology assessment (HTA) reimbursement dossiers and commissioning dossiers for a variety of global payers including NICE, SMC and NCPE
· Leading evidence gathering to inform value demonstration:
- Input into design of economic systematic reviews to be conducted by their dedicated SLR team located within their India office and application of the learnings into model development
- Specification of analyses of clinical trial data (e.g. survival analysis, quality of life analysis, indirect treatment comparison)
- Performing expert elicitation exercises to inform model parameterisation and to validate model inputs and outputs
· Developing technical reports, user guides and summary slide decks providing interpretation and methodological detail for economic models and providing training to local affiliates on their use
· Providing input into proposal writing and the development of new business opportunities and services
· Developing abstracts and posters for clinical, academic and industry conferences, and manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals
· Formal and informal training of clients and staff in HTA and modelling topics
· Dependent upon your experience additional responsibilities may include:
- New methods development and application
- Statistical analysis of clinical trial or observational data
- Providing economic input to evidence generation activities (clinical trial development and analysis plans / registry searching)
- Acting as an independent expert on advisory boards / in front of reimbursement bodies
- Presenting at international conferences
They are currently seeking experienced health economics professionals with the enthusiasm, vision and flexibility required to play a key role as part of their Health Economics Analysis team. You will need to have:
· At least 3 years’ experience in the hands-on design and construction of economic models from within a consultancy, the pharmaceutical industry or a relevant academic-consulting environment
· Experience line managing and providing training to more junior staff members
· Designed and built at least 5 cost-effectiveness models from scratch
· Experience of Excel® and VBA – this is their primary modelling platform
· Experience of quality control, strategic and technical review / critique of economic models
· Excellent English oral and written communication skills and comfort liaising with technical and non-technical clients (both internally and externally)
· Proven ability to explain complex calculations and ideas both verbally and in writing
· Proven ability to manage projects within timelines, budget and scope
· Proven ability to resolve issues and challenges
Experience is required in at least one out of the two areas below:
· Experience developing global models
· Experience developing HTA and reimbursement submissions (particularly for NICE and SMC)
You will have a distinct advantage if you have:
· Experience of programming individual patient simulations or discrete event simulations (preferably in R or VBA)
· Experience of analysis of clinical trial data for use within health economic models, e.g. survival analysis, quality of life analysis, and combinations of RCT and non-RCT data
· Peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations
Compensation and benefits package:
Competitive salary (dependent on experience) plus company bonus
33.5 days paid leave inclusive of bank holidays
Individually tailored career development plan and considerable scope in terms of progression opportunities
Health and wellbeing benefits